Cloud Forest

Cloud Forest

Banana Splits

Banana Splits

Zipline

Zipline

Bilingual Classroom

Bilingual Classroom

Bilingual School with its Own Windmill

Bilingual School with its Own Windmill

Arenal Volcano

Arenal Volcano

Costa Rica National Curriculum

Costa Rica National Curriculum
Honoring United Nations Agreement

Experiential Learning

Experiential Learning
One of Many School Gardens

Coffee Plantation

Coffee Plantation
Coffee Picker

La Carpio

La Carpio
Home

La Carpio

La Carpio
Home

Energy Savings

Energy Savings
Which number is today?

FAITH

FAITH
Resiliency

LOVE

LOVE
Scarlet Macaws

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions
Professional, Casual, Beach-Will it all Fit?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Preparing, Packing, Imagining

Short sleeves, long sleeves? sweaters, layers? shorts, capris, or pants? Sandals, raingear, boots--it is the rainy season...I hate being cold and wet, and I hate being hot and clammy...I can't remember ever being so confused about which clothes to pack--cool and wet in the mountains and hot on the beach; professional wear for the schools, work clothes for service projects. I am not fussy about clothes, but I do enjoy being comfortable. I think once I get my clothes dilemma resolved, I will feel more relaxed.

This semester has been very busy so I have not had much time to daydream and imagine the adventure that is about to unfold. This week has provided some time to read over travel books and meet with some friends who have visited Costa Rica. Now I am able to imagine a few adventures. I have always wanted to visit a rainforest, and now that will happen in a couple of weeks--WOOHOO!! :)

I am looking forward to 'Life Tico Style' because I prefer a slower pace of life instead of a hectic style often found in large cities. I enjoy families and casual lifestyles. I am looking forward to meeting my host family, but right now I am experiencing some concern. After studying Spanish all day, I am wondering how tired I will be. I know I will want to socialize with my family, but I also know I will want to rest some. At the same time, I 'm sure their days will be busy, too, and they may feel a little apprehensive about my presence and feeling obligated to entertain me. It will be interesting to see how we create a happy balance for the family and for me. I love the idea of staying with a family in order to learn about the culture first hand instead of reading about it online or in a book. It will really motivate me to learn Spanish!

I have been thinking about my former ESL students. They would really enjoy the fact that I am traveling to a Spanish speaking country and trying to learn the language. Each of them would be very encouraging. They were always appreciative and positive in their relationships with me. I hope I can maintain that same perspective while I am a student in a foreign land where I do not know the language or the native customs and protocol.

If I had to choose two countries to visit to forward my next career move, Costa Rica would be one of them. I am very interested in environmental education so this trip is the perfect choice of places to visit and learn. I am centering my action research on this topic.

The next time I write, I will be immersed in the Tico style of living:) Adios!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Shelby! Your blog is beautifully written-- I can truly imagine all of your wonder, frustrations, and desire to understand/learn as much as you can. As always, I'm inspired! Can't wait to read about week dos.
    Adios :)

    ReplyDelete